Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cheers To Mistakes

Today is an important day to me.  This day marks the 3rd anniversary of one of the my most risky decisions.  Three years ago today I threw my heart into something having no idea how it would result.  It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Today, life for me is different.  The results of that decision hurt.  Even today, my heartstrings are strained.  Things did not go as planned.  I made mistakes and circumstances ended some of the happiest days of my life.

For months afterwards, I grappled with myself.  Anger...regret...and then more anger.  I had taken a gamble and loved the results for almost two years.  But then the dice rolled where I wished them to not go and my world was rocked.  My tower of happiness was toppling and I was ticked that I had taken such a risk.  I made myself miserable for months.

I was a fool.  Selfish, un-focused, stubborn...I wore my heart on my sleeve and hated my risky decision because of the pain it brought.  I was quick to dismiss the many months of happiness and contentment that it provided.

To this day I bear the scar of my decision.  And the pain is still real.  But...I am no longer fearful to harbor the pain.  To embrace my hurt and accept it.

I have since realized that I do not regret the decision made three years ago.  It remains one of my most treasured moments.  But I was reckless in my speech and my actions.  I made myself hard to handle.  And it cost me much more than I was ever willing to give up...

But cheers to mistakes.  Salutes to the pain.  The bleeding my heart has done this day and every day since reminds me that I live still.  And the scars are a constant reminder of the risks of happiness.

The hurt keeps me vigilant to not repeat my mistakes.  You see, wise men are just fools with a good memory.  They are not better than the rest of us; they just learn from their pain.  I have determined to be wise.

Three long years later, my life looks nothing like it did when I risked my heart as a young, ignorant 15 year old.  I am harder; I have experienced deep pain.  I have faced and have been asked to live with betrayal.  I have uprooted my whole way of life and now live among different people in a place I never expected to be.  I am changed.

There is a blessing in mistakes.  They rip your heart apart so that you learn to survive them and grow stronger.  I would not have been able to handle the past year without the pain of my risk three years ago.

Not a day goes by that I don't miss what I had.  But had I not experienced the rough pain that kicked me until I stood up and faced it...I couldn't have handled what was coming.

Cheers to mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment