Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Image and Lifestyle

So...it seems lately that God has been giving me many big lessons as I go throughout my day and I come home and share them with you and how they apply spiritually.  Whether it is being robbed, having traffic slowed because of a triathlon, or just being hungry, God has been fueling me with lessons that I feel a strong call to share.  Today is no different.

I was running low on gas in my car, so on my way home from work, I pulled into a gas station and filled up.  Well on the sidewalk next to the gas station, there was a man standing with a sign that said "Help Me Feed Starving Families".  Well I had $5 bucks on me, so I walked over and gave it to him.  He was very thankful and we exchanged smiles and then I returned to my car and pulled out.  I was wearing a Christian Tshirt and had Casting Crowns playing in my car...I had the whole Christian look going on.

Well as I passed him on the street corner, I was so concerned with making sure I waved to him, made eye contact and left a good Christian impression on him......that I ran the stoplight.  Badly.

Thank God that I was not run over, though I ticked a few drivers off.  I was so concerned with giving that one man a good image of me and of Christians that I become unfocused on the things that really mattered and ended up damaging my Christian image rather than helping it.

It was my intent to help this man's cause and while doing it, show him that Christians can be generous.  Instead, I left that man with an image that Christians are reckless drivers.  In this case, it would have been better to keep the $5 bucks and maintain my reputation rather than give up the money and dampen the Christian image.

I was concerned with image and it should have cost me.  By God's grace, it did not.  At that intersection and as red as that light was, I could have easily been killed had a car hit me.  By His mercy, I only angered a few drivers because of my mistake.  In my focusing on helping my image, my actions were not properly focused and I played a very dangerous game.

When we as Christians become more concerned with how people see us that we neglect to keep our eyes on the road, we too, play a very dangerous game.  And in many cases, our attempt to help our image usually does nothing more than bring it lower.

It is not the image that matters.  It is the lifestyle that presents the image.  Me giving money to what I believed to be a good cause was not wrong.  Me driving away focused on showing the man that I was a generous, caring guy was.  And it could have cost me much, much more than embarrassment.

When you and I walk around with Christian Tshirts, we present an image.  But too many times we get obsessed with that.  If I want people to know I'm a Christian, I should wear a Christian Tshirt, put on a Christian armband, and wear a cross necklace, right?  False!!!!

It is not our image that leaves a lasting impact.  It is the life that we lead.  I could wear all the Christian clothing and be a huge jerk; or I could be wearing rags and have a bright smile and respect for those around me.  The first example, I have the image of a decent Christian.  But my lifestyle speaks differently.  The second example, I have the image of a homeless or very poor person, and yet my lifestyle reflects something greater.  Which would people remember?  The rags or the smile?  The Tshirt or the rude thing you said?  Many times they remember both and then you best hope your clothes match your words and actions.

Today mine did not match and God taught me something through that.  Image is NOT everything.  Being genuine and leading an honest lifestyle IS everything.  So just as God has challenged me, I challenge you.

If you did not walk around wearing a Christian Tshirt or did not have your religous view posted on your Facebook, would people know you're a Christian?  We like to set up a nice Christian image and make that our witness.  And that is so incorrect.  It is the way we live and the choices we make that matter.  Join me today in re-focusing on lifestyle and leave your concerns with your image behind.  There are more important things in life that worrying about how people see you.  Instead, let's focus in on how to best serve the Lord...His opinion is the one that matters. :-)

2 comments:

  1. good word Josh. thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the words of our mouth, and the deeds we do, we preach Christ (or not) daily.

    ReplyDelete