Monday, September 27, 2010

Desperate For The Provider Over The Provisions

Good morning all!

It's early and I'm on my way out the door for my college class, but I had a little time so I wanted to take a moment to talk about what we, as Christians, are desperate for.

A good friend of mine led a part of the worship service yesterday and the song he sang was called "Jehovah Jireh".  The Lord is our provider.  Towards the end of the song, my friend stopped and mentioned that he was not singing this song to the blessings of God, but to God. He said "I do not need the provisions as much as I need the Provider."

And friends, that is SO true! I know in my own life I yearn for the blessings of God so much that they overpower my desire for the presence of Him who provides.  Think about it.  How often do we pray "Lord, do this in my life" or "Father, give me this thing"?  And perhaps not even in a selfish way.  We could desire that God would give us wisdom in a situation that we're uncomfortable with, but want to give God glory through.  Is there anything wrong with such a prayer?  Nope.  However, even though we intend it for good, we still approach God with a "please give me" attitude.

What if you and I prayed for a week without asking for a thing except that God would just make His presence known?  What if we become desperate for the Spirit of God more than what He can give us?  And then, to know that He is with us is enough!

I know too many people who have given up on God because He did not provide for them when they believed He should have.  He did not give them that blessing in the "opportune moment" and so they shut God out.  These people rely completely and only on the provision of God and have no desire to have His presence.  Having Him with us should be more than enough!  The blessings follow being in good relationship with Him. 

But we say in our hearts "I want what He can give me, and if that means I sometimes have to talk to Him and ask, I can live with that".  But do we ever say "God, I am absolutely desperate for YOU and I want to see Your Spirit evident in my life.  Move, Lord, in such a way that I may be reminded that You are with me...and that is enough for me".  But too often we cannot settle for the presence of God.

If He is nothing more than a vending machine, He is not God.  Let the Lord Jesus be God, my friends.  Be desperate for Him and His presence in your life.  Without that, any blessings we recieve will be empty.  So change your focus.  Desire the Provider.  Be desperate for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment